According to the CDC, 5-20% of the population of the US gets the flu each year, more than 200,000 are hospitalized and 36,000 die (although independent research has now put the number closer to only 1,000 deaths per year). When reading the CDC’s list of people who should get the flu vaccine, nearly everyone falls into one of the categories. But is the flu shot really the best way to prevent the flu, as they suggest?
Catching the “flu” is less a product of the influenza virus and more the product of increased susceptibility on the part of the host. If the immune system is working well, chances are greatly reduced that you will become ill with the flu.
There are many reasons to avoid the flu shot, not the least of which are the ingredients such as mercury, aluminum, formaldehyde, phenol, ethylene glycol (antifreeze), MSG and many more, which are all toxic and damaging to body tissues.
Taking good care of yourself is the key to avoiding the flu this season. Here are seven simple things you can do to balance your immune system function.
• Avoid sugar and processed foods. Your body needs the right fuel to perform properly.
• Get enough rest. Without sleep, your body cannot recuperate after a long day.
• Don’t let stress become overwhelming. Find ways to effectively deal with stress in your life.
• Get adequate sun exposure to increase your vitamin D levels. Vitamin D is a potent antioxidant and immune booster. The sun is not an evil glowing ball bent on injuring you; it is life-giving energy!
• Exercise at least 30 min a day, 4 days a week to help stimulate blood flow and circulate immune cells. Remember, you can split up that 30 minutes into smaller times.
• Wash your hands. Do this regularly—antibacterial soap NOT NECESSARY.
• Last, but absolutely not least, keep up with your regular chiropractic care! Your body needs to have all its functions coordinated, and to do that, it needs full nervous system function. If you have not been adjusted for some time, call to schedule your immune-balancing visit today!